1. The captain in the poem is referring to Abraham Lincoln. Walt Whitman greatly admired Lincoln and he wrote this poem as a mourning poem for Lincoln's death in 1865.2. The ship representing the United States. After the Civil War, the United States was in a mess, but the prize was won- the union was preserved. 3. The fearful trip would be the Civil War. Lincoln was assassinated soon after the end of the war.
The captain in this poem is an extended metaphor for Abraham Lincoln. At first I was surprised it was him, but then it made sense because the Civil War and the abolition of slavery were hot topics during the time of Whitman. People are on shore cheering for him and showing their love and support for him, yet he is dead. The ship is the United States, and how it was moving through an uneven sea of the Civil War, with it uncertain what the outcome would be. The fearful trip is Civil War, and how brutal and terrible it was. Now, the country has lost their leader that they have always looked to during these hard times, and they are not sure what to do next.
Captain - Abe lincolnShip - The united statesThe fearful trip - The civil war
I believe, because most of Whitman's poem's refer to the civil, this is just another brick in the wall. The captain is obviously Abraham Lincoln as he was the leader. The ship is the union military.
1. The captain is president Abraham Lincoln, who has "fallen cold and dead" after his assassination2. The ship refers to the country (the U.S.), or even just the Union, as it goes through a war3. The fearful trip refers to the Civil War
1. captainThe captain refers to Abraham Lincoln. Whitman admired Lincoln more and more as his presidency progressed. Lincoln death greatly affected Whitman, who wrote this poem in memory of who he believed was the greatest president in US History.2. shipThe ship represents the US as a whole. 3. the fearful trip The fearful trip represents the civil war and its horrors. Shortly after the Civil War ended, Lincoln was assassinated, leaving the country in a state of confusion.
1. The Captain represents Abraham Lincoln 2. The ship represents the United States 3. The fearful trip represents the civil war in United states in 1860s.
1. Captain-- Relates to Abraham Lincoln. He was assassinated. Whitman admired him, so this poem was the reaction to the events that occurred to Lincoln. 2. Ship-- United states as a whole. It shows the difficult times that US went through during the trip. The homecoming of the ship shows the victory and the happiness they had from winning. 3. Fearful trip-- Relates to the civil war.
The captain refers to Abraham Lincoln. Witman admired Abraham Lincoln because he was against slavery. The ship is the United States of America, and the fearful trip represents the civil war. The ship in the poem returns with cheering crowds having won "the prize", just like how Lincoln lead the victory of the civil war.
1-Captain - Abraham Lincoln2-Ship - Union Army3-Fearful Trip- American Civil War
The captain refers to Abraham Lincoln. Walt Whitman refers to him because he admired Lincoln (thought that he was the greatest president in the US History.The ship represents the Union.The fearful trip means the American Civil War
1) The 'captain' refers to Abraham Lincoln.Whitman admired Lincoln. This poem is Whitman's reaction to Lincoln's assassination.2) The 'ship' refers to United States of America.Represents the nation.3) The 'fearful trip' refers to the Civil War.The ship is returning home to the crowd having won the prize of victory. The Union also returned with victory led by Lincoln.
1. Captain - Abraham Lincoln, someone Whitman admired, but died before the ship returned to port from the civil war.2. Ship - USA3. The fearful trip - The Civil War
Emma Takahashi 1. The captain refers to Abraham Lincoln. Whitman looked up to Lincoln and he even dedicated a poem to the death of Abraham. 2. The ship represents the U.S.A and its great nation. 3. The fearful trip represents the Civil War.
1) Captain - Whitman refers to Abraham Lincoln as the captain because Lincoln is someone that Whitman admires and looks up to. Throughout this poem, Whitman discusses his thoughts about the assassination of his "captain". 2) Ship - In this poem, the ship refers to the United States of America. He explains the greatness of the nation. 3) The fearful trip - The fearful trip refers to the Civil War. The victory was led by Lincoln (his captain).
1. The captain in the poem is Abraham Lincoln because Whitman admired Lincoln and referred to him as "father" a couple of times in the poem. Whitman was a man that wanted to abolish slavery and fully supported the north during the civil war which meant that after Abraham Lincoln was assassinated, he felt lost and people on "the shore" mourned. 2. The ship represents the fight for the rights of slaves in the United States because walt whitman considers himself to be a part of the fight for slaves through his writing. 3. The fearful trip represents the Civil war itself because no one knew how it was going to turn out and it was even more scary not having a leader as great as Abe Lincoln.
In several search results on the analysis of "O captain my captain!" I discovered that Whitman referred to the president that supposedly ended slavery, Abraham Lincoln. Whitman reportedly admired Abraham, and had been "searching" for someone like him for quite a while. The assassination of Abe led Whitman to write this poem, referring to Abe as his captain and his father. Also, the Ship was noted to be the Union, the conglomeration of the North and the South. The captain's will and determination held the ship together, but it resulted in his death. The "fearful trip" was the Civil War, about which Whitman often wrote if in his own indirect way.
1. The captain refers to Abraham Lincoln, whom Whitman admired. After Lincoln's assassination, Whitman made this poem in memory of him.2. In this poem, the ship represent the United States as a whole, and how great the nation is.3. The fearful trip represents the Civil War.
1. The captain in the poem refers to Abraham Lincoln because Whitman admired and looked up to Lincoln. Whitman and Abraham Lincoln had similar views. They both wanted slavery to end. This is probably the reason why Whitman looked up to Lincoln because he had the power to act while Whitman only had power through poem. 2. The ship refers to the power/fight to get rid of slavery in the United States. Whitman says "The ship has weather'd every rack, the prize we sought is won." Probably saying they were able to get rid of slavery.3. Fearful trip represents the Civil War.
I believe that the captain in the poem is Abraham Lincoln during the civil war. Whitman often looked up to Abraham Lincoln and he viewed him as a fatherly figure. If the captain is really Lincoln then the ship that they are sailing on is the United States and the union of the North and South states. The fearful trip was the civil war and the fight to end slavery.
1. The "captain" in this poem refers to President Abraham Lincoln, and it is Whitman's reaction to his assassination.2. Whitman uses synecdoche in this poem to symbolize the "ship" in the poem as the US during this time.3. The "fearful trip" Whitman writes in his poem is about the Civil War, and he writes that the "prize we sought is won", meaning that his "side" that he believed in in the Civil War has won.
1. The captain in this poem symbolizes Abraham Lincoln. Walt Whitman admired and looked up to President Lincoln, and this poem can be seen as a sort of ode to him and his struggles. 2. The ship refers to the United States. Abraham Lincoln steers the US just like a captain steers a ship. 3. The fearful trip represents the civil war, which was led in large part by Abraham Lincoln.
I believe that the captain is referring to Abraham Lincoln. Whitman often expressed his view of Abraham as a fatherly figure and someone to look up to. Lincoln being the president, is leading the ship (America) home and to victory. The fearful trip is the journey through the civil war, and the fighting between the north and South.
I believe that the captain is the head of the ship but this symbolizes Abraham Lincolns recent death and that captain is a metaphor for the death of Lincoln. And when the speaker says the ship is safe i think he means that abraham has left the united states in good hands, with the united states meaning ship.
The term "captain" in this poem is referring to the president Abraham Lincoln. Because Abraham Lincoln was the president, the "ship" was America. The fearful trip was the civil war. The civil war ended right before the assassination of Lincoln.
1. Abraham Lincoln, an appraised leader of the civil war. People celebrated for the formation of the union, the abolition of slavery, and other ideals of Lincoln.2. The United States of America, having (through the civil war) won the freedom of slaves. The vessel being "grim and daring" is referring to the horrors of the war.3. The Civil War itself, a great tragedy of bloody warfare. When the "voyage" was over, people were exulting in their newfound peace.
1. Abraham Lincoln is the great leader of the American Nation, who clearly inspired WhItman to write this. 2. The ship represents the struggle of the Civil war to obtain freedom in the US. 3. The fearful trip represents the civil war, a strong event which his writing is always related too.
1. The Captain in this poem refers to Abraham Lincoln, whom Whitman admired. 2. The ship is the USA. 3. The trip is the Civil War.
Captain - Abraham lincolnShip - The US of AThe fearful trip - The civil war
1. Abraham Lincoln 2. USA3. Civil War
The Captain: Abraham LincolnThe Ship: The United StatesThe Fearful Ship: The American Civil War
1. captain is Abraham Lincoln.2. ship is the U.S3. the fearful trip is the American Civil War.
The captain- Abraham LincolnThe ship- United States of AmericaThe Fearful Trip- The civil war
1. The Captain is Abraham Lincoln2. The ship is the USA. 3. The trip is the Civil War.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The captain is Abraham Lincoln; the ship is the United States of America; the trip is the American Civil War.
The captain is about Abraham and his great achievement of creating a free and equal AmericaThe ship is from America probably an IRON CLAD ship (USS Monitor), the iron clad ship was an iron plated steam ship armed with powerful cannons known to change naval warfare forever. The poem probably recognises the strength of the Iron clad which helped win the civil war which seemed hopeless for the union who could not resupply without getting its wooden ships from being blown up into pieces. USS monitor has been recognised in American History as the ship that helped win the civil war and can be considered as the victors ship. The fearful trip is the Civil War, A tragic war where Americans killed Americans.
1. captain: The captain in his poem is Abraham Lincoln. 2. ship: US3. the fearful trip: The civil war
The captain means Abraham Lincoln who fought for freedom The ship means the United states Lastly the fearful trip means the cilvil war (American war)
The captain is Abraham Lincoln. The ship represents the U.S. as a country. The fearful trip represents the Civil War.
1. The captain in the poem refers to Abraham Lincoln who is the captain of the ship. Whitman wrote this poem to honor Lincoln, the 16th president of the United States. 2. The ship represents the United States of America. When it says how it has "weathered every rack", it means America has braved the tough storm of the Civil War.3. The phrase "our fearful trip is done" is talking about the end of the Civil War.
1. The captain refers to Abraham Lincoln.2. The ship represents the United States of America.3. The fearful trip refers to the Civil War.